Types of Writing Projects
I usually get two types clients contacting me. There's the ones who have hired freelancers before and know exactly what they want,, when they want it, and how they want it. And then there are those who have know idea what they need. They just know writing help is necessary. Start throwing around words such as white paper, and press release and they are suddenly lost. So to clear up any confusion, I've compiled a list of several types of writing projects as well as a brief definition.
- Feature Story- Commonly seen in newspapers and magazines, a feature story is a special human interest article and usually tied to a timely news event. They are usually longer in length (sometimes exceeding 2,000 words) and go into great detail about concepts and in depth research.
- Press Release - In short, a press release is an official statement sent to several media outlets giving information on a particular matter in the hopes of inclusion in publication. Press Releases are typically used to announce book releases, sales, and events and than forwarded to several editors or included in press kits.
- Blog - Although defined loosely, a blog is a regularly updated commentary used to inform on subjects of the writer's liking. The content is usually listed in reverse chronological order. Blogs can be used to connect with their audience, establish oneself as an expert, or keep readers abreast of new happenings.
- Sales Letter - Sales letters are those little things you often get in your mail box informing you of a new product or service that the sender would like you to buy. They usually aren't longer than 500 words and emphasize the service/product description and a call to action.
- Executive Bio - This is nothing like the biographies you used to write in school. Because I'm a strong believer that clients hire the person and not the business, executive bios tell a bit about the professional background as well as personal background allowing the audience to truly get to know the business and the person behind the business.
- Web Content - Web content is any of the text you see on websites. It includes everything from the words you see on the About and Contact page to the company slogan and photo captions. Good web content is written keeping internet marketing strategies in mind such as SEO, web analytics, etc.
- Speaking Engagements - Also known as public speaking. This one is pretty self-explanatory. However, I am available to speak to audiences of all ages on a variety of subjects. I most frequently speak about how to get published. I also give presentations about education and find the inspiration to follow your dreams. Speeches can be anywhere from five minutes to one hour.